October 3, 2010

Procrastinators Unite... in Latin America



Two time zones may separate the east coast of the US (GMT -5) and Uruguay (GMT -3) causing a one hour time difference in the winter time and three hours in the summer, but this is not the only time difference to be overcome. Welcome to Uruguayan time where you can add an "-ish" to whatever time and still be on time. Anyone familiar with Latin America has already heard of this phenomenon, but experiencing it is another, wonderful thing.

I don't feel bad about late for anything here. Usually how late I am depends on the situation. If it is a very informal situation such as a party, which they don't really get going until about 2:00 or 3:00 a.m., I will be hours late. For more formal things like class and meetings about school I'll be up to 10 minutes late. Anything definitely formal or serious I will be on time for like exams... nope, not those. Meetings with International Program personnel... not them either. Or maybe... no, definitely not that. Hm, I think the only thing I've seriously had to be on time for were the UM sponsored trips that went by a strict schedule. This country really is very informal.

In fact, I don't think I have ever heard someone say "You're late" to anyone. Ever. And it's so nice to be in a place that doesn't stress being on time. Of course, being punctual is still a valued trait as Latin America most often tries to adopt Western rules when it comes to looking professional, however the times when this is necessary are obvious such as appointments with the embassies or a hospital/clinic, job interviews, and arriving to work on time only if your job requires it, of course.

I know this new time system is going to bit me in the butt when I get back to the states. Enjoying it while I can.

*Edit. To make things even more complicated I just figured out the States and Uruguay don't change their clocks at the same time. In Uruguay we will be moving our clocks ahead one hour today, October 3rd, while the states will move their clocks back our hour November 7th. That means there will now be a two hour time difference between the east coast and Uruguay. On November 7th it will be a three hour difference. Have fun processing that.

79 days till I'm US bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment