October 5, 2010

I Don't Know What to Call This

I had this written a while ago (Sept. 25), but I was holding on for pictures.

First, I betrayed my beloved Penarol when I went to a Nacional game this past weekend. My friend Sol and I went to another smaller stadium by Parque Batlle called Parque Central. The game was somewhat exciting as a player got nailed pretty badly in the first fifteen minutes of the game and one red card was given to Nacional. One thing I hate about soccer games though it that I just don't know what to say. My Spanish may be coming along, but I don't know how to talk trash at a soccer game very well. I can, however, tell the flag person where to shove their flag (Por que no te metes la bandera en el medio del orto?) and a few other basic things like Corre, hijo de puto, corre!, but not much else. It was good fun overall though. We sat in the setting sun the entire time which means the sun was in our eyes for a good portion of the game, but it was actually a lovely, warm day which we are getting more of these past couple of weeks, so I didn't complain too much.

The next thing was el Dia de UM that took place on September 22nd. The university gave us tickets to trade for food and in between panchos and hamburgers you could play games like miniature soccer and basketball, ride a bull (I almost lost my camera on this sucker), and find a friend to beat up with padded fighting poles. It reminded me so much of the sober night event my high school hosted immediately after prom except the promotion of sobriety wasn't happening even if we were in the courtyard of a high school. Unfortunately, my camera faked me out by looking like it was charging for hours the night the before, but didn't so I have no pictures of my own to show. However, I will take no shame in stealing them from my friends' facebook accounts to show you guys.

In other news, I think I found someone who I can formally teach English. I can already tell it's going to be a challenge, but a good one. I'm just glad she can't speak English as well I can like so many other people I have met here or it would be entirely too easy. My first time teaching her will be this upcoming week so we'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment