October 18, 2010

Literature

I don't know why I'm so worried about not being to find any books about Uruguay or by Uruguayan authors when I return to the states, but I am for some reason. So, let me mention some Uruguayan writers I've read whilst in the UM:

Horacio Quiroga: I would name him my favorite mostly because he has written children stories and I love uncomplicated story lines that speak volumes. He had a really sad that affected him deeply and it shows in his work. For example, I read one of his short stories for kids where a turtle had his head almost severed off and was barely hanging on to his body. I wrote a short paper on his collections of stories titled Cuentas de la Selva.

Idea Vilariño: She wrote wonderful poetry about love and heartbreak about Juan Onetti who was her lover, but refused to leave his wife for her. How sad!

Juan Carlos Onetti: He was once admitted into a mental institution which can explain why he chose to write psychological stories. As an accomplished novelist and author of short stories, he also managed to win the National Prize in Uruguay for literature and was a distinguished writer in Latin America.

Love these authors and want more? Uruguay experienced a boom in literature from 1945 to 1950. There is a list of about 15 other writers.

If it's Uruguayan history books you're after, Benjamín Nahum and José Pedro Barrán have got your back. Both wrote a series of books about the history of Uruguay titled Manual de Historia del Uruguay and Historia Uruguaya, respectively, with the last compilation being the more descriptive of the two.

*Picture is of the book section of the Tristan Narvaja outdoor market that takes place every Sunday. If you don't wake up in time on Sunday, there's also a lot of book stores along the same street that are open Monday through Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment