December 5, 2010

Thanksgiving

El Día de Acción de Gracias was my first big holiday away from home.

First off, it was a little strange for me to have two night classes that very day when I usually only have half a week off of school just because just to celebrate this particular holiday. And since we were eating so late and I didn't get out of class until 9:10 I had to get all the recipes together and let Marie and her friend Rafael make it happen. Its unfortunate that we didn't have enough space in the oven to cook more than one big dish and one small dish at a time but always what with me having late classes and Marie and everyone having to work till 5:00 it just all couldn't be done the way I wanted it. So, the meal ended up being different-- and definitely way more healthier-- than anticipated but dang it was still good.

Everyone invited friends over and we scourged up chairs from all over our tiny apartment to accomodate all the people. They insisted that I say the prayer... in English... and very slowly. Somewhere in there I might have gotten nervous and said Happy Thanksgiving to Canada as well... haha. It was nerve-wrecking. And for dessert Flo, my guest, and me attempted funnel cakes which was halfway successful meaning that we burned half of them. But, hey, the ones that did make it out unburned tasted pretty good. And, I know funnel cake is not typically eaten after Thanksgiving dinner, but pies and things need to be made from scratch for the most part here as crusts and things aren't pre-made and we just wouldn't have had the time nor patience to make them. I had secretly been wanting to make funnel cake for a while though so that worked out perfectly for me.

Then right before we started eating I actually got my parents on Skype to check out how I was spending my Thanksgiving. I was video chatting with them and they were able to meet my Uruguayan family who used what English they knew to speak to my family and showed them all the food and the other friends we had invited over. So, I did manage to involve my family a little in the festivities. But that was my Thanksgiving.

P.S. The US lost the bid for the 2022 FIFA World Cup but now that just means we all get to travel all the way to Qatar to see it. And I'm googling Qatar right about now....

1 comment: