December 15, 2010

Being an Introverted Language Learner

'I speak Spanish, I'm just introverted.' This label should be sharpied on to my forehead. I've met so many people who assume I don't speak a lick of Spanish despite being here for ten months and its just not true. A prime example is when a friend of mine, Rodrigo, took me to a music studio to take a class with him. The instructor sensed I wasn't talking very much and interpreted that as me not being able to under him began unnecessarily whipping out every English word he had ever learned while he tried to explain how to create a song on the computer. Every time he asked if I was understanding I would nod my head enthusiastically and insist that I did, but he still had Rodrigo translate just about everything for me until I finally told him that I can understand Spanish perfectly fine.

My thing is I'm not a fan of small talk and I get to the point when I speak. These are not great qualities in a language learner and I'm sure its the reason why my speaking skills still aren't amazing albeit they are SO much better than they used to be. I can't be too bothered by it though as I plan to speak Spanish for the rest of my life which means I'll get plenty of opportunities to keep improving and keep using it. It just kind of sucks though because so many people people probably think I don't like them when in all honesty I just don't know what to say.

I do have to say , however, that what I lack for in speaking skills is made up in my writing skills. Oh, yeah. So, just email me instead.... hah.

So, that was a little bit about me there. If you happen to be an introverted language learner I'd love to hear about it. I think I'm the only one ever I've met and I know there are more people like me out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment