December 16, 2010

Christmas isn't Suppose to be Hot

I feel like I'm in an alternate universe with it being so HOT around Christmas time. Not to be gross, but my hands are actually sweating as I type this. That is not suppose to happen. I'm suppose to be walking around in a jacket and all times and stealing my mom's heating blanket. In fact, I'm usually home from school right now. Its. so. weird. But nice. Apparently its snowing up there in NC already which is usually doesn't do until late winter which means it has to be freezing up there. Nothing makes you appreciate the heat like knowing you will be going home in a few days where its in the 40s.

Another bizarre thing about the holiday season here, for me, is the lack of Christmas spirit and decoration. Its definitely there, but I'm used to being bombarded by Christmas commercials galore and gaudy decorations all over the place. Its a lot more chill. Tres Cruces knows how to get Christmas poppin' though. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention to the music to see if they were playing Christmas songs, but there were definitely a lot of discounts going on and whole lot of people there for a Thursday.

Even though I'm more than ready to go home and celebrate with my family a small part of me kind of wants to stay here and see how they get their Christmas on. Its much different in that on Nochebuena (Christmas Eve) they go out and party. Then they wake up late on Christmas day and open presents and just spend time with family. I think they also shoot off fireworks as I saw someone today selling them on the street, but then again those could be for New Year's. And, since families usually live pretty close together airports aren't packed (said the American Airlines lady) in Latin America. I found that interesting.

Here's our Christmas tree. I think it makes it seem like we live in the desert, haha. Its made of twigs and has colored rocks in the glass vase.

For those feeling a bit miffed after I failed to do 31 posts in October I hope to make it up in the next few days with a bunch of blogs I've been meaning to write. If anyone has any suggestions or something else they want to know about life in Uruguay let me know asap.

Speaking of heat, here's a link to my Beach Week photo album. Click around and you can find my other albums as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment