August 31, 2010

August Review

Alright, I'm sticking to my two month review thing I have going.

Number one question: How's the Spanish? I don't even know anymore. I speaka the Spanish but there are still moments where I freeze up and stare at people, like right about a two hour class in English, and people have stopped correcting me. I know the latter is a good thing, but I know for a fact that I don't speak perfectly and it's rather ambiguous when people just stop correcting you. Does that mean what I say makes sense or have they learned how to understand my non-perfect Spanish and just don't bother to correct it anymore?

Man, I really hate to admit this, but I just want to go home lately. I'm not going to moan and groan in a post but I'm dealing with things both here in Uruguay and in the States and it's stressing me out. I think a trip to Buenos Aires is in order where I will splurge on McDonalds and Starbucks coffee then visit a mall. And, I must see a Tango show since for some reason I'm on the side of Argentina that says they invented the tango instead of Uruguay. Sorry, Uruguay. You know I still love you.

I finally got the ball rolling on volunteering to teach English. Believe it or not I think my university here might come through with an offer and other language teachers have been looking for positions for me. I'm pretty excited.

UM is really frustrating me lately. I think it's only fair to say that they are still a program in progress and I have been very patient with them until now. Basically, we are three weeks into classes and I'm still dropping and adding classes because the advisors don't know how to deal with international students who want to take classes in different faculties. LE SIGH. Anyone who knows me at all knows I'm much more frustrated than how that reads.

Aaand, my Uruguayan family (Mary, AnalĂ­a, Pilar, Marie, made and devoured pizza over the weekend together. I had a lot of fun and I hope we do it a lot more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment