August 25, 2010

Saturday on a Wednesday


Last night was La Noche de Nostalgia (August 24th), or Nostalgic Night. Did I really need to translate that? I hardly did anything nostalgic though I did hear a Beetles song at some point. I just spent my night hanging out with some friends and we made pizza (from scratch!). Then we ended the night by watching some youtube videos and the girls introduced me to a a great channel of an Argentinean girl which I have been watching since I woke up. She's funny. If you want to know how they talk here, she is a good example.

But my experience of this holiday was actually a little atypical. I imagine most people go out to the club or a bar, which I hear are carĂ­simos in response to the holiday. They play oldies music like the Beetles and Michael Jackson and apparently with this being the closest holiday to Halloween people also dress up in costumes though I hear not many do this. Maybe just the Americans/ foreigners?

So, after partying until the sun comes up and one wakes up in the middle of the afternoon the next day to the wildly celebrated Independence day of Uruguay (August 25th). Oh, wait. Wildly celebrated? What I meant to say was "looked over" since not a single thing is done to celebrate. It's like a Saturday in the middle of the week. Everyone went out last night, no one has to work today. Let us just relax.

By the way, I realized that I never spoke about how within my first couple of days being here that I witnessed the inauguration of the Uruguayan president Pepe Mujica. What an oversight. A post and pics to come shortly. In the meantime enjoy this video:

No comments:

Post a Comment