August 8, 2010

I'm Back

I officially think in Spanish. I returned the sixth and have been speaking almost non-stop Spanish both inside and outside of the apartment. It's nuts. I was wondering how to start this blog post and immediately started thinking of what I wanted to say in Spanish. It was a 'Whoa' moment.

Going home was worth it. I was burned out a little after exams and it was a welcome break. I didn't do much of anything seeing as how we moved and I didn't know the area nor anybody nearby. But I did visit the mall several times in an attempt to experience American culture in the best way I know how. Other than that I just hung out with my family since I missed them like crazy and visited a few friends.

Actually, I had a lot of problems trying to return to the States then again when flying back to Uruguay. My first flight to the US almost had to make an emergency landing because someone fainted, customs was slow in Puerto Rico and I missed my flight thus having to spend the night, had my flight cancelled in Charlotte on the way back to MVD, experienced bad turbulence on a small plane in a thunderstorm... Basically, my faith has not been restored in airplanes at all and I am thankful that I have to fly two more times this year then I'm done. Ugh.

On another note, I met the new international students the same day I arrived and I absolutely love them. There is a good mix of people and the university has really listened to our suggestions by adding uruguayans to the group in the form of volunteers and interns to help them out. I can tell it has made a world of a difference. Though I admit I feel kind of like an outsider because while I'm an international student I don't really need the help of the International Program anymore or to go on tours around the city. So, I'm mostly just doing the same tours and lunches among international students that I did last year, but more with a purpose to get to know the students and help where I can. I've only been around the group as a whole one time, but I can already tell that the group this year seems to be much tighter than the previous one.

I planned on writing a little more, but I'm falling asleep on my keyboard. Look forward to a blog about Puerto Rico. Dare I say, I might retire there one day. It was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment