June 27, 2010

La Mundial

I woke up in one of the best ways the other day. It was to all the apartments surrounding my patio-room shouting Gooooooool! followed by firecrackers and more muffled shouting. Turns out Uruguay had just scored in the first few minutes of their game with Corea del Sur and I rushed out my room to the nearest T.V. Then as I'm glued to the tube waving my huge Uruguay flag around for no one to see I realized how atypical is the situation I am currently in. I've been alive for several World Cups, or Mundials, and couldn't even attempt to answer a multiple choice test on what happened in them. I think this phenomenon is largely due to being in a country that is quite the opposite of apathetic when it comes to fútbol and knowing exactly what it means if Uruguay were to win this year's Mundial.

Did you know Uruguay hosted the first Mundial in 1930? The stadium where the game was played is actually located here in Montevideo next to my school in Parque Battle. One of the main reasons it was chosen to be held in Uruguay is because 1930 is also the same year that it celebrated 100 years of independence. The event then solidified itself in this country's history as Uruguay won the very first Mundial against Argentina 4-2. Go, Uruguay! For more info visit the Wikipedia page.

So, what would it mean if Uruguay won the Mundial? First off, it would mean that Argentina didn't win. Yes! Also, Uruguay tends to be a pessimistic nation and after taking a history class on the beginnings of this gaucho nation they have every right to be. They are between two big giants Argentina and Brazil who used to be ruled by the powerful Spain and Portugual. Together the nations warred with Uruguay and even the nation's hero at the time Artigas eventually fled the country for Paraguay after Portugal's second invasion ruined any progress that was being made in Uruguay. Then sometime in the 1900s there was a huge economic crisis made worse by a fellow uruguayan family who stole money from the banks and put them into foreign accounts. So, Uruguay winning a Mundial would be a well needed boost to the nation's ego and it would show those Argentinians and Brazilians that we are a force to be reckoned with... on the football field!

Back to my story above, I then went to 18 de Julio to celebrate with my fellow Montevideans while waving my Uruguayan flag and joining in the chants. Even though it was Sunday cars lined the street and everyone was cheering, honking horns, and showing off anything light blue that they owned. Ok, less talking, more showing.


Post game traffic


Soy Celeste

Lyrics:
olé olé olé, olé olé olé ola
cada día te quiero más
oooooh, soy celeste



Uruguay


And because I hate being silent during the games due to not knowing any fútbol vocabulary I learned some words and thanks to Lorenia Lorenia shouting at the T.V. I also know a lot of cuss words to say. Most of which include the F-word, B-word, and talking about people's mothers. Love it. Here's a short list of a few of the terms:

Soccer player: futbolista
Coach: entrenador
Field: cancha
Score a goal: hacer un gol
Out (of bounds): afuera
Yellow/ Red: tarjeta amarilla/roja

Hopefully, Uruguay will keep progressing in this year's Mundial and I will be able to post a lot more blogs about it. We shall see. Vamos arriba, Uruguay!

No comments:

Post a Comment