June 30, 2010

I'm going to be here foreverrr (Review)

It's that time again, folks-- Review time! I'm four months down with six months to go. So, how are things?

My Spanish has improved by leaps and bounds though I feel I've reached a plateau lately in the speaking area. I'm not in the mode of surviving anymore, so I know how to say everything I need to say and I know where to buy the basics and how the Bristish Hospital works in case of emergency... Basically, my everyday life isn't new anymore and I need to get out there more to keep improving my Spanish and stop being true to my introverted nature.

I just say I live here now. Ten months is almost a year and when you stay in one place for that long you pretty much live there. Plus I'm in a weird situation where my family moved while I was here so I don't even know what my real house looks like in person and probably couldn't even find it on a map. I...I think I just had an identity crisis.

Food wise ferias and the internet are my best friend. I buy my fruits and veggies from the feria then type in that I want to make chicken and that I have these ingredients into google and it spits out millions of recipes. I just find an easy recipe that works in our tiny kitchen and viola yummy chicken. That's Chef Casey to you thank you very much.

The homesickness thing has come and gone. It helps that I'm trying to limit my facebook time and only talk to my family once a week on Skype, but I still miss it, of course. I'm just trying to focus on getting to know this country so I can forget about missing my own. I loved seeing the US crowd during the World Cup matches though.

And traveling around has made me realize that I want to travel everywhere. Everytime someone mentions some new place I just add it to my list. Consecuently I've been looking more into TESL jobs so I can find a way to make enough money to travel the way I want while thinking about student loans. It's definitely possible, but it means graduate school and me will unfortunately be seeing each other at some point and it's the reason I'm trying harder to get a TESL volunteer job. Experience can go a long way in that field it seems. But first things first, I need to work on speaking more and milk this opportunity for everything it's worth so I can have a solid foundation for my future career.

How awesome was that last paragraph? I just linked this study abroad experience to my future job. Mom, I deserve to have cookies shipped to me or something. I is growed up!

Last but not least, I have added pictures and videos where I deemed necessary in all my posts and have even edited the posts since the last review. That was my past week right there, folks. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment