June 19, 2010

Ahh, Buenos Aires 2

Oh, Buenos Aires. A week later I still miss the place and look forward to going back and doing all the things I didn´t get to do. *daydream*

Ok, so less about what I did in B.A. and more about it. I´m going to start this blog post off with safety in this big city, and well any big city, because I think it´s definitely something to know and very real that your chances of being robbed, pickpocketed, etc. are likely.

I can´t tell you how many I know that have gone to Buenos Aires and came back with a story about how they were robbed, lost something, tricked, etc. It happens. So, why have I been to Buenos Aires twice and nothing has happened to me when I scream tourist, am a women, and tiny at that? Because I learned from a wise friend how to visit Buenos Aires and return with everything you came with and not paying more than you should. I´m sure I´ve talked about what happened to her in this city, but it deserves repeating. Rachel was walking through a park between two museums off very little sleep. So, she had everything in her camera case (money, camera, passport) and was not fully alert to prevent what was about to happen to her. It is common for people to rig things that will fall on your or throw things on you to make you flustered and lose your sense of awareness. In those few seconds where you´re wondering what happened they are stealing everything on you that they can reach as they pretend to help you out. Rachel had "bird poop" fall on her via a device rigged to a tree and while she was looking to see what happened two people approached her pretending to be great samaritans and stole her passport and expensive camera. Ouch. She was on her way to Mendoza, so immediately she was stuck in Buenos Aires going to the US embassy to get an emergency passport and she still hasn´t replaced that expensive camera.

So, how to avoid this?

First off, protect your passport! ALWAYS lock it up (even if you´re all buddy buddy with your new hostel friends) when you aren´t willing to carry it on you. Then I think one of the best inventions for travelers is the pouch you wear under your shirt or under a jacket. It easily holds passports, money, and important paperwork (folded) and should contour to your body so no one even knows you´re wearing it. When I am in the midst of traveling I never take it off since I sleep very easily on buses and on airplanes I´m more worried about dying than if someone is reaching for my purse and not the cup they just dropped. Protect the passport, ladies and gentleman. It works better than a license, school id, credit card, ISIC card, bus ticket with your name on it, etc. and in the case that it is stolen head for the embassy and be aware you might have to file a police report first.

Second, spread your things out. I usually use the pockets I have on the front of me to put things in, so I will put money in one pocket and my camera in another. Being mindful of pickpockets, though, I try to wear tighter jeans and I wrap the string of my camera around my belt loop once. I, also, have a jacket that has zippers on the pockets so I will use those as well. And being a proud new owner of a traveler´s backpack don´t keep important things in the outside pockets but in hidden pockets (usually on the inside with zippers) and between other things like pairs of pants.

Third, be paranoid and keep checking to make sure you have everything... but be subtle about it. I would casually make sure I had everything as I was reaching in my purse for my wallet at Mcdonalds and patting my pockets while waiting for a light to turn.

Fourth, don´t make it easy for them. Examples: I keep my hand on my purse at all times. If I feel like someone behind me has been by my purse or my backpack too long I shift to the other side. With my smaller backpack I would use my two small locks and keep the two compartments closed at all times.

Fifth, even if you don´t know what you´re doing or where you are look like you do. Confidence is a huge crime deterrent. Go into a super market, Mcdonalds, or some place that seems safe to ask people questions and pull out your map.

Sixth, trust people when they say a certain area is safe or not. This one I say with a condition. If you´re a traveller who is there for a few days then please follow their advice. If you´re like me and you´re living there and people say not to go to Cuidad Vieja then, I can ignore them. Hah, I probably shouldn´t but I think I know how to handle myself and I never take anything with me I wouldn´t mind losing or that isn´t easily replaceable. And my pepper spray (thanks, dad).

Those are just some of the big things I think people know to do so your awesome trip to the big city won´t be spoiled. And, by the way one of my goals while I´m here is not to get robbed and it´s still alive!

Other things about Buenos Aires are that there is a neat arts and crafts fair on Defensa which is partly made of cobblestone which I always love. I didn´t have time to walk the whole street but it seems like it covers a great deal of it and some side streets as well. It is tourist central! I heard some languages being spoken and saw a lot of North Face jackets. The fair has lots of painting, jewelery, antique pieces, and a few shows such as tango, a guy with a doll with the strings attached (I forgot what this was called-- marinette?), and I saw a guy who painted himself and his costume white and stood still like a statue.

Riding the subway or the subte was fun. Usually maps have the routes marked in different colors that match the colors in the subway so you can figure out which train to take and where it goes. Despite how many times I wondered around aimlessly it is a pretty straightforward system and even when you get on the bus there is a little map telling you all the stops in both directions so you can figure out if you got on going the right way or not.

Buenos Aires is also called the Paris of South America. I cracked up at this when I read it and had to read the reason why because Paris didn´t cross my mind a single time when I was in B.A. They actually say that because there is a big French ifluence in the city which can been seen through the architecture and pasta restuarants. The closest thing they have to the eiffel tower is the Oblesico which I will see next time I go and instead of burets the most popular hat at the moment seems to be the gaudy blue and white hats to support Argentina in the World Cup. Paris, indeed. Haha I´m making fun of it but I read about this after I went to the big city, so of course I didn´t notice it.

Also, while researching for a paper yesterday I came across another blog that talked about Argentinan bus tickets.

Buenos Aires, te extraño! I´ll probably be back around my birthday in July though on my way to Mendoza then to Chile, but that´s another post for another time. I´m off to walk 8 de Octubre and hopefully buy a Uruguayan Flag and whatever else I feel like I need for the next Uruguay game. Dale, campeon!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Casey!
    I also want to teach English as a Second Language, and that's why I'm in an apartment in Buenos Aires studying Spanish!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aston, that sounds awesome! I loved BsAs when I went and it would be sweet to teach there one day. How are you liking it so far? Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete