June 21, 2010

First day of Winter

And if today is not the first day of winter then don´t read this post until it is. Google is extremely northern hemispherically biased. Today is the coldest day by far that I´ve experienced here in MVD. I was actually using the computer earlier with gloves on and the radiator scooted as close to me as I dared. I am seriously glad I dropped all that money on a thicker jacket in BA because I sure needed it. Air conditioning I can live without but central heating? I´m worried about making it through July. Brr

Actually, I just might make it through July since I plan on going north for a few weeks. Professor willing, my one exam is the middle of July will be pushed earlier or later in July and I can get some solid traveling in. My plans are Mendoza (Argentina), Santiago (Chile), and Cusco (Perú). I had added Bolivia to my trip until I realized it was the only country that I would have to pay enter ($135 USD) and also that with the way I travel it might take 3 weeks just to get there. But it might still happen if can find a way to live more cheaply and hopefully crash on some couches the whole way.

I´m trying not to plan anything because this is Latin America we´re talking about. I have heard all kinds of stories of delays, cancellations, and problems with tickets that I´m just going to take it a few days at a time. I have my new traveler's backpack and the right attitude about it, so I'm excited.

In other news, I wore my hair was out in the biggest afro I dared to wear out in public today and I found the response to be amusing as it always is. I got a lot blantant staring and it made me smile. The best response I've ever recieved though was from the tour guide in Ushuaia. He related me to the Jackson Five then handled my hair like it was the eighth wonder of the world when I said he could touch it.

I think one of my new goals will be to make sure I wear my hair out like this in every country I visit and gauge the reaction of the people. So, I keep making reference to this goal list I have for South America, but never actually write it down. Here it is... as I can remember it:

Goals:
1) Be fluent in Spanish
2) Don't get robbed
3) Visit 10 out of the 13 countries in S.A.
4) Couchsurf
5) Wear a big 'fro in every country I visit and gauge reactions

BTW, I made up a word in this post. I´m sure you found it.

How to be Uruguayan: Instead of saying "está bien" just say "´ta".

No comments:

Post a Comment