February 11, 2011

Blackness in a White Nation


I had someone comment that they wanted to know what I felt like being black in Uruguay so I thought I would address it. I haven't spoken about it before because this didn't seem to be the right audience for it, but now that someone has asked I have no problem doing it. I already talked a little bit about it in my post titled Afro-Uruguayans, but I'll expound a little.

Uruguay is one of the most homogenous populations in South America, if not the most homogeneous, where the population is majority caucasian. Naturally I stuck out like a sore thumb and my afro wasn't helping matters either. To be honest though, I live in Nowhere, North Carolina where there isn't a well represented population of African Americans either so its not like it shocked me. Although, I would say that in comparison Uruguay has less blacks than here in Nowhere, NC.

Fortunately, I was never hassled or talked down to or anything because of my skin color, which is always great, but I did notice that people treated me a little different sometimes. I feel like people would look at me longer and in a way that made sure I wasn't trying something sometimes. I even had a few kids point me out to their parents which I just thought was cute. Some subtle things happened, of course, where people would jerk their kids away from me or like the example I gave in the other post a guy in McDonalds saw me and pushed his wife to his other side away from me, put his arm around her, and would keep looking at me every few seconds. It was pretty rude, but, hey, what could I do?

Just like in the US there is still some ignorance from people who have never come into contact with people of color, but you just have to learn to take it in stride, especially when you're in other countries. In situations like that I would just try to not give them any reason to think of me as a sketchy character by taking my hands out of my pockets, not looking at them, and just being polite. I would say that 98% of the time though I was treated just like any other person/ foreigner and even like a regular Latin American from the times people thought I was from Brazil or somewhere else.

I would definitely say to not let your skin color keep you from going though. I never met a mean Uruguayan (do they even exist?) and they treat you like a regular person. Just be prepared to stick out a little.

By the way, I plan to research this topic of Afro-Uruguayans because it has really drawn my interest since I can't seem to find more information on it through Google search. I was looking up an Afro-Latin American textbook for a class I'm taking with a similar name and found a book titled Blackness in a White Nation: A History of Afro-Uruguay by George Reid Andrews that I plan on starting with. You know, in case you're interested as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hola, he seguido tu blog a lo largo del año, y si bien hablo y escribo algo de inglés decidí escribirte en español puesto que deseas practicar. Soy de piel blanca, pero mi padre es negro, no es usual el término acá pero podría decirse que es afroamericano, en cuanto al término "negro" no es precisamente algo ofensivo como puede ser "nigger" en USA.
    Aun así hay algo de racismo en Uruguay, no es un problema violento al estilo KKK o apartheid, pero lo cierto es que el problema existe. También es cierto que este problema ha disminuído y mucho en los últimos 20 años, pero hasta hace 20 atrás existían en el interior del país(fuera de Montevideo) algunos clubes de baile que no permitían la entrada a negros. En Montevideo existe un organismo gubernamental para la ayuda de los afroamericanos, hasta hace poco sus oficinas se encontraban en la Intendencia Municipal de Montevideo (City Hall), tendrías que ver en la Web de la IMM para ver si sus oficinas siguen allí, tal vez puedas contactarte con ellos por más info.
    El racismo que existe hoy, es un racismo que no solo afecta a los negros, es un racismo que afecta a todos los pobres, Uruguay es un país donde los negros no acceden, pese a ser gratuita, a la educación terciaria; la cuestión no pasa porque alguien impida a los negros entrar a la Universidad, el tema es que las condiciones económicas impiden que al afroamericano promedio uruguayo ir a la Universidad debido a que tiene que trabajar, pero este problema no solo afecta al afroamericano, afecta a muchos otros que no son necesariamente negros.
    Los matrimonios mixtos existen y hay muchos, y no hay casi racismo acerca del color de la piel de la persona con la que te cases.
    Los negros no tienen casi acceso a puestos de poder dentro del gobierno, y es bien sabido que acá los mejores trabajos son en el estado. Pero los mimo podría decirse de otras minorías,por ejemplo: de Korea, o de Bolivia que viven acá.
    Por mi parte he de decirte que mi padre jamás tuvo un problema racial, se jubiló de profesor de electricidad y dio clases durante 35 años a personas de todos los colores y nunca tuvo problema por tener su color de piel.
    Me despido, espero que sigas escribiendo tu blog y que todo lo que acabo de decir te sirva de algo.
    Siempre me divierto leyendo blogs de extranjeros que tuvieron que vivir acá por algún motivo.

    Saludos, Sergio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sergio, muchisimas gracias por tu comentario. En realidad, no conoci otros negros en uruguay personalmente y solo tengo mi opinion sobre el tema y por eso no es tan correcto. Me sirve mucho tu comentario.

    Estoy de acuerdo que el "racismo" afecta mas los pobres que los afroamericanos quienes tradicionalmente son parte de esta clase tambien en una gran parte del mundo. Definitivamente voy a leer y buscar mas informacion sobre este tema y ojala que un dia puedo regresar a Uruguay con mas conocimiento en este campo.

    Ademas, de verdad nunca tuve un gran problema a causa del color de mi piel en Uruguay pero igual me gustaria saber mas sobre los afroamericanos porque aca tienen su propio mes (febrero) en que los celebran pero en Uruguay no hay algo asi. Esto me interesa mucho. De nuevo, muchas gracias!

    -Casey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Casey, I have been here over the past year. and it is a shame that I never met you. I will have to say that I noticed the lack of blacks or anyone of a darker skin color in any of the mainstream jobs, and certainly those in the supervisory jobs. I worked in Education, and I noticed (though I am white) that there was a lack. And they are pretty arrogant..about the fact that they are mostly of "European Ancestry" code for white. Many US expats move here which I have disgustingly discovered that it is code for pre civil rights....white.
    I am glad that you have had such a fond experience of the country, but I am not fooling myself, and I would not want to send anyone else here blindly. It is not fair to them, when they can buy a ticket to a much more deserving place...
    By the way, there are plenty of "mean" Uruguayans...I have met them.. I have also stayed and really tried and forced myself out to find the good things about this country before I go home, because I had so many stories of the way they treat people from the EEUU..perhaps out of their own jealousy or perhaps hangups...that my contacts were telling me they hated the country and wanted me to come home....
    An interesting note that may go along with their opinion of the poor...
    After having arrived and having them assume I was a rich american...I put out the impression that I didn't really have that much money...(I was hispanic..spanish decent...very white skin..so they assumed I was "as good as them"""I could see their chests puff out in approval when I was first introduced)
    When "word got out that I was not rich" they started treating me very badly...which let me see who they really are... (cause I come from a very wealthy family...even if I live simply) I liked to weed out the ticks from my life!
    Well, I have never been to a place that I didn't find something to appreciate..and I just didn't want to leave, having wasted almost a year of my life....so I stay and try to make good memoriess...no matter how I have to search...
    but I would never dream of leading someone else in to this c...pool.

    ReplyDelete