May 24, 2010

La UM

I realized that I'm here in Uruguay for school and not really talking about my school experience. So, here is my attempt to make up for it.



First impression of the school: Wow, this place looks fancy. The white buildings were very well kept with gates surrounding the property and security guards watching out for the students who would hang out outside to smoke. It's kind of complicated to get to the school and even more complicated to explain how to get to my apartment from the university. Most of it's buildings are located right around the park, but it's not clearly marked and the streets are intricately crisscrossed in such a way that it makes things difficult. We even have to cross an intersection where five streets come together with no stop signs, so we have to literally watch all sides as we cross four other streets almost simultaneously.

This school only has a population of about 3,000 students which is nothing compared to the 20,000 students at UNCG. I feel like I already know one third of the students that attend UM just meeting people in my classes and in the international program ceneter. Also, I think it´s different that the students are always dressed nice for classes. It might come as a given with private schools but I never see anyone come to school in pajamas and it's hard to find students that look like they rolled out of bed and into the classroom. This could also be because everyone has to commute to campus, but who knows. (There is no on-campus housing at any of the universities in Uruguay).

As far as diversity is concerned, what diversity? I´m pretty sure only three african-americans attend this school (one being me) and that most of the diversity comes from international students. Of course, Uruguayans all have a mixed race usually involving indigenous roots with a european heritage mixed in, but it's the same mix for everyone. The majority resemble Europeans more than anything, though It's a little weird coming from a university that is the most diverse school in the UNC system to UM where I'm surprised to see people of other races. Then again, Uruguay is known to be the one of the most European-looking countries in Latin America.

UM is a very Catholic school (Opus Dei). All classrooms have Jesus on a cross on the right or left side of the chalk board. Even in different rooms of the buildings you'll find religious art and paintings. Since they are so spiritual we, also, always have no school on Christian holidays.

Classes are generally held later than they are in the US and are also longer. All of my classes are least an hour and a half and more than half of them are held at two in the afternoon or later. This school is even so small that in each faculty there is a board with all the times and meeting locations of the classes. The classes usually aren't held in the same classroom every time they meet, so the room number definitely comes in handy when you can't find your class where you thought it would be. I definitely like the later schedule here because I can sleep in late most days, but at the same time when class doesn't get out till 7:40 p.m. on a Friday it cuts into weekend traveling plans.

There are NO meal plans. Every time you want something you have to pay out of pocket and it's not an all you can eat buffet. I tend to get a ham and cheese medialuna which is just a sandwich. The prices are reasonable and you can even charge your prepaid cell phone here. Huge plus.

Speaking of school, students in the obligatory levels of schools that are public have to wear uniforms. It's mostly the younger students so primary school and, I think, secondary school as well have to wear them. I think they are so cute because you can wear whatever clothes you want underneath but have to wear either a white or green and white checkered overcloak-like uniform. Another tidbit is that the uniforms have been worn since around the 30s or 40s and, in my five-year old opinion, the boys look like they´re wearing a dress. :D

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, musicmanic589. I got to your blog via facebook and I found it really interesting. I'm a student at UM and I have to say your description is hilarious!! It's so funny to see your point of view because I'm uruguayan and I feel just like you!(would it kill IMM to put stop signs at Ponce?!)And then...The people? overdressed! The blackboards? outdated! and the crosses? an exageration!
    As for the "tunicas" (those white overcloak-like uniforms), they are worn by children in primary schools...at least as far as the public system goes. And at secondary schools the students are required to wear blue jeans and a white t-shirt up until the third grade :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i'm glad you enjoyed it. this school is wayyy different than what i'm used to so i´m just calling it as i see. i'm pretty much used to it now so it's all good.

    ooh "tunicas". that makes more sense now. hope you're enjoying the blog! if you ever see me don´t be afraid to say hi!

    -Casey

    ReplyDelete